Flag: 3rd Confederate Infantry
According to the available documentation, this flag was issued in the spring of 1864 and bears characteristics similar to the other Hardee pattern flags issued to the division of Major General Patrick Cleburne, Army of Tennessee. It was captured on September 1, 1864 by the 113th Ohio Volunteer Infantry at the Battle of Jonesboro, Georgia. In his report dated September 10, 1864 Captain Toland Jones noted that "we captured the battle-flag of the Third Confederate Infantry Regiment inscribed with the names of seven different battles." The flag was eventually forwarded to the U.S. War Department where it was assigned Capture Number 227. On April 26, 1905, the flag along with four others which "had been identified as belonging to Alabama organizations" was forwarded to the Governor of Alabama. The flag had been mistakenly identified as the flag of the "3rd Confederate Cavalry, formerly the 11th Battalion Alabama Cavalry." The Third Confederate Infantry, formed in January 1862 actually consisted of eight companies from Arkansas and two from Mississippi.
During the preparation of this report, Curator Bob Bradley discovered the error and in consultation with other scholars verified the true history of the flag. In September 2000, Bradley began efforts to have the flag returned to Arkansas. On November 30, 2000, Bill Gatewood, Director of the Old State House Museum in Little Rock, formally requested the return of the flag. The Board of Trustees approved the request on March 2, 2001. The flag was picked up by Curator Joellen Maack on October 25, 2001, and taken back to Arkansas.
It has since received conservation treatment and is currently on display in the Old State House Museum in Little Rock, Arkansas.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Updated: July 26, 2007