Alabama Counties: Washington County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Washington County was created on 1800 June 4, as a county of the Mississippi Territory. Its original boundaries were the Chattahoochee River to the east, the Pearl River to the west, the 32nd parallel to the north and the 31st parallel to the south. It currently encompasses 1,081 square miles. Its area originally contained 26,400 square miles. The county was named for George Washington. The area of Washington County was later divided into 16 Mississippi counties and 29 Alabama counties.
Early county seats of Washington County included McIntosh's Bluff, Wakefield and St. Stephens. The county seat is now located at Chatom. The current boundaries of the county include the State of Mississippi to the west, the Tombigbee River to the east, Mobile County to the south and Choctaw County to the north.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: February 6, 2014