Alabama Counties: Tallapoosa County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Tallapoosa county was created by the Alabama legislature on 1832 Dec. 18, from land acquired from the Creek Cession of 1832 Mar 24. Tallapoosa County received its present dimensions in 1866. The county derives its name from the Tallapoosa River. Tallapoosa is believed to mean "pulverized rock," in the Choctaw Indian language. Tallapoosa County is located in the east-central part of the state and is bordered by Clay, Randolph, Chambers, Lee, Macon, Elmore, and Coosa counties. The county lies almost entirely in the Piedmont plateau, immediately south of the Appalachian plateau province. It encompasses 701 square miles. From 1832-38, the county seat was at Okfuskee. Since 1838, it has been at Dadeville, which was named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade who died in the Seminole War. Horseshoe Bend National Military Park and Lake Martin are located in Tallapoosa County. Other towns and communities include Alexander City and Camp Hill.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: November 23, 2009