Alabama Counties: Madison County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Madison County was created by Mississippi Territory Governor Robert Williams on 1808 Dec. 13. Additional land was added until the county achieved its current form in 1824. The county was named for Pres. James Madison. The county is located in the north-central part of the state, bounded to the north by the State of Tennessee and to the south by the Tennessee River. It encompasses 806 square miles. The first white settlers entered the area in 1804. The area was previously inhabited by Cherokee and Chickasaw Indians. The county seat was established at Huntsville. Huntsville also served as the temporary State capital in 1819. Today, Huntsville is the home of the Marshall Space Center. Other towns located in Madison County include New Market, Normal, Madison, Owens Cross Roads and New Hope.
The Redstone Rocket online
The Huntsville Times online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: December 14, 2012