Alabama Counties: Macon County
Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Macon County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1832 Dec. 18, from territory acquired from the last cession of the Creek Indians, 1832 Mar. 24. It was named for Nathaniel Macon, a distinguished soldier and statesman from North Carolina. Macon County received its present dimensions in 1866. It is located in the east-central portion of the state, and is bordered by Elmore, Tallapoosa, Lee, Russell, Bullock, and Montgomery Counties. It encompasses 614 square miles.The county seat is Tuskegee, named after a Creek Indian town that was located at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers. Tuskegee is also the site of Tuskegee University. Other towns and communities include Shorter, Franklin, and Notasulga. The Tuskegee National Forest is located in Macon County.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: October 5, 2011