Alabama Counties: Conecuh County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Conecuh County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 13, from part of Monroe County. Its name comes from the Muscogee language, and has been interpreted to mean either "land of cane" or "polecat's head." The county's size was altered several times before 1868, when it received its present dimensions. It currently comprises 854 square miles.
Conecuh County lies in the southern portion of the state, and is bordered by Monroe, Butler, Covington, and Escambia Counties. The county seat was at Sparta from 1818 until 1868, when it was moved to Evergreen. Other towns and communities include Castleberry, Lenox, and Repton.
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line
Updated: November 20, 2009