Alabama Counties: Chilton County
Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps
Chilton County is located in the central part of the state. It was created by the Alabama legislature on 1868 Dec. 30, from lands taken from Autauga, Bibb, Perry, and Shelby counties. Chilton County encompasses 695 square miles. The Coosa River forms the eastern boundary of the county. Originally named Baker Co., Chilton Co. received its present name on 1874 Dec. 17, in honor of Judge William Parish Chilton, chief justice of the AL Supreme Court and a member of the provisional and regular Congress of the Confederacy.
The original county seat was at Grantville. When the courthouse burned in 1870, the county seat was removed to Goosepond, a stop on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. The town was renamed Clanton after Brig. Gen. James Holt Clanton. Other significant towns and communities are Jemison, Thorsby, Verbena, Maplesville, and Mountain Creek.
The Clanton Advertiser online
Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1921.
Updated: December 13, 2011