--> -+

 

Alabama Counties: Autauga County

 

Click-on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps

 

map of Alabama counties with Autauga County highlighted
Autauga County was created by the legislature on 1818 Nov. 21. The county was named for Autauga Creek, which runs through it. It was formed from Montgomery County; by Act of 1820 Dec. 13, the boundaries in the north and northwest were enlarged; on 1827 Jan. 12 the line between Autauga and Shelby counties was more definitely fixed. In 1866 part of its territory was taken to establish the new county of Elmore. In 1868 another portion of the county was taken to establish Baker, later known as Chilton County. The word "Autauga" comes from the Indian village Atagi, located on the Alabama River at the mouth of Autauga Creek.

 

Autauga County is located in the central part of the state, wholly within the coastal plain. It is bounded on the north by Chilton Co., south by Lowndes Co., east by Elmore Co. and Montgomery Co., and west by Dallas Co. It comprises 597 square miles. The first county seat was established at Washington, on the site of the Indian village of Atagi, in 1819. In 1830 the county seat was moved to Kingston. In 1868 the legislature removed the county seat to Prattville, which was named after cotton gin manufacturer Daniel Pratt. Other towns and communities include Marbury, Billingsley, Autaugaville, and Mulberry.

 

 

  Authorities:
  Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S.J. Clarke   Publishing Co., 1921.
  Toulmin's Digest, 1823.

  Other links:

 

Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line

 

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/counties/autauga.html

 

Updated: March 4, 2014

ADAH Logo

 

P.O. Box 300100 / 624 Washington Ave.

Montgomery, AL 36130

(334) 242-4435